Harmon Family Chiropractic
2602 Newton St. Jasper, IN 812-634-6363
Adjustments and your Nervous System
The main part of your treatment in this office is through a chiropractic procedure called an "Adjustment". We all know that the adjustments help us to feel better, have less pain and fewer headaches, etc…, but we must remember that the adjustments have a much higher purpose. The most important effect of the adjustments is to remove the misalignments of the spine called subluxations. Subluxation causes interference in the ability of the nervous system and body to communicate with each other and to function properly. Adjustments remove the interference to the nervous system allowing it to function at its highest and most efficient levels.
Gray's Anatomy tells us "The nervous system controls and coordinates all organs and structures of the human body." So, we can see that the regular chiropractic adjustments are essential to allowing our body to function and in its natural ability to heal itself.
Let's take a look at a few of the many amazing facts about your body and the nervous system:
- The body's intelligence develops the brain and spinal cord first!! This occurs within the first 18 days of conception
- The brain and spinal cord are so important, valuable and delicate that they are the only organs encased and protected by bone (i.e. the skull and vertebrae of the spine)
- The central nervous system sends vitally important messages between your brain and body at a rate of 325 mph through 45 miles of nerves
- In a 24 hour period the communication between the brain and nervous system will assist the heart in beating 103,680 times
- In a 24 hour period the communication between the brain and nervous system will pump 2,100 gallons of blood through nearly 62,000 miles of blood vessels
- In a 24 hour period the communication between the brain and nervous system will assist you in breathing 23,040 times
- In a 24 hour period the communication between the brain and nervous system will exercise 7,000,000 brain cells
- In a 24 hour period the communication between the brain and nervous system will assist in producing 69 trillion red blood cells in one day
Now that we have a better understanding of how important our nervous system is, we can understand why we need adjustments. Each adjustment you receive builds on the one before and has a cumulative effect on how your nervous system functions. Regular adjustments allow your body to heal, regulate and adapt appropriately to the many stresses of everyday life.
Congratulations on considering and/or being a chiropractic patient!! You have made one of the most important decisions of your life by taking better care of your spine and nervous system. Everyone can benefit from adjustments and their effects on the body and nervous system, so remember to tell others so we all can function at our very best and benefit from chiropractic care.